Friday, 16 January 2015

DESCRIPTIVE ESSAY:MYSTERY......


There was a gibbous moon in the sky which fit up a few wispy clouds_ It was 2.30 a.m. when the party ended. After bidding farewell to my friend, I took my motorbike and headed straight for home.
The deserted road was dark and gloomy. Surprisingly, the roads were badly lit. The feeling or loneliness crept all over me as I travelled uneventfully along the endless long stretch of road. It was at times like this when I wished that I could have someone by my side to accompany me.It was a few minutes later when I noticed a young girl, who was about my age, standing by the roadside and waving me down. It took me a moment or two to react. Should I stop? Without much consideration I stomped on the brake pedal and the vehicle came to an abrupt halt.The young girl, needless to say, was pretty. She has a  petite figure, an oval-shaped face, a pair of sparkling eyes and lustrous hair. When she spoke, her voice had the same sort of purity as the water from the mountain spring. And she wanted a lift to her house. Later, I was still trekking along the stretch of road, but not alone.

On the way, she complained that she was feeling rather cold. Without hesitation, I took off my stylish jacket and gave it to her.She accepted it appreciatively and wrapped it around  her body with ease. Then, we trekked onwards. I took her straight home. When she got off at her address, she thanked me,

“Come to my house when you're free”, she whispered softly and pointed at the bungalow with imposing white gates. May I know your name?" I asked gallantly.`Gweyn," she replied with a smile.I arrived home at about 3.00 in the morning. It was then when I recalled that I had left my jacket with Gweyn. I was feeling rather worn out and decided to retrieve it when dawn breaks. As fatique.claimed over me, I slumped lazily into the  welcoming arms of the soft sofa and fell into a dreamless  slumber.It was a chilly morning when I woke up  which the pale sun to my left seemed to be doing little to alleviate. Orange  daylight was oozing in through the open windows. I decided to pay the girl a visit right away. I arrived at her house at about 8:00 in the morning. I pressed the doorbell and waited patiently.
 Time seemed to drag by slowly. Then an elderly woman appeared and looked at me enquiringly. I explained to her about be incident last night.Somehow, she questioned its truth and refused to believe every word that came out from my mouth.”I am perfectly sure that mydaughters were with me last night." she murmured. "All of them." Her tone was very sarcastic.Now what? How should I convince her? I did not know what to do. My limbs seemed to be frozen and when I opened my mouth to speak, there was no voice to be heard_

She detected my difficulties and continued to speak. "You do look sincere, young man, but are you sure?"

"Yes!" I said the word with utter finality.She nodded briefly and motioned me to follow her into the house. Once inside she gestured me to be seated. Then, she went upstairs. 1 took a few glances around my surroundings  The interior of the house was indeed well designed. Then, I spotted a picture which was hanging on the opposite  wall. It was Gweyn!Moments later, the woman came down with her daughters. She demanded me to indicate the girl that I mentioned. There were three of them, but none of them was the girl I was looking for."Where is Gweyn?" I enquired."Who?" She looked baffled."Gweyn, the girl in that picture," I explained and pointed directly at the picture hanging on the wall.

Her daughters giggled softly and looked sarcastically at me. Then, the elderly woman took a few paces across the room, towards that picture and gave a sigh of resignation."Young man, the girl in that picture is indeed Gwep.""Then where is she?" I continued to probe."But, she is no longer with us," she said gravely, and .pronounce each word clearly as if speaking to a five-year-old child stared at her expressionlessly and said, 'That's not funny." Little did I realise that sweat was pouring down her forehead."I didn't say that it was funny, young man," she  retorted. "Come with me," she snapped and left by the back door. Unceremoniously, I followed her.I was brought to a cemetery which was located a few hundred yards away from her house.When we arrived at her daughter's grave,I saw my jacket hanging over the tombstone.


I was speechless and dumbfounded…….

Mystery-SMK KUBANG BEMBAN

1 comment: